What does Invalid IMEI mean and how to check it when buying a new/used Phone?Published On:
As we have told you about DIRBS in our previous articles, Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has introduced a Device Identification, Registration and Blocking System called DIRBS, it actually helps to identify illegal, smuggled and unregistered phones in Pakistan. This article will help people who want to buy new or used mobile phones, but beware as these devices might have Invalid IMEI. As a problem to this solution, we will give you complete details on how to get rid of this issue or how to identify if the device that you are going to buy will not have this problem.
Table Of Contents:
- IMEI Check Online
- Valid IMEI Check Method
- What is IMEI is Compliant
- What is IMEI is non-compliant
- What is IMEI is blocked
1. IMEI Check Online Method for any phone through DIRBS:
Since, we all know that PTA has now started sending text messages to mobile users in Pakistan advising them to verify their devices latest by October 20th, 2018 Otherwise, non-compliant devices will be blocked.
Hence, here we are going to tell you to please make sure to check device authenticity (whether the device is registered with DIRBS or not) before purchasing it. To check if your phone has a valid or invalid IMEI, all you need to do is verify the device IMEI number through PTA IMEI check system. You can easily find out your device IMEI number by following any of the methods given bellow:
- Method 1: IMEI number iPhone/iOS > Open Settings > General > About
- Method 2: IMEI number is also printed on your mobile phone box/device. You can easily check your IMEI number mentioned at the back of your mobile device.
- Method 3: To know your device IMEI number, you will need to remove back-cover of your device. There you can find device IMEI number (This option is only compatible with removable battery mobile devices)
- Method 4: IMEI Number Unlock: Dial *#06# to know your device IMEI number
- Method 5: Check your device IMEI number within the phone. Open Settings > About Phone > Status > IMEI Number
2. How to know if your device has a Valid IMEI number:
Once you receive a 15 digit code (IMEI number), you can now easily verify whether your device IMEI number is PTA compliant or non-compliant. For verification please follow the steps given below:
- Android Application Method: To check whether device IMEI number is PTA compliant or not, download PTA DIRBS app on your device > Open the Application > Enter 15 digit IMEI number
- DIRBS Website Method: Log onto http://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/ then > Enter 15 Digit IMEI number > Click Check button
- SMS Method: Go to > Write Message Option > Type (IMEI number – 15 digits) > Send it to 8484
3. What does IMEI is Compliant mean:
IMEI is Compliant indicates that the device has a compliant IMEI and is valid. You can continue using your device.
If you get this message, “ Device IMEI is Valid. Insert SIM and make a call/SMS to anyone on or before 20/10/18 date for auto registration”. This indicates that you should make a call, send SMS to any number or avail Internet MBs to continue using your device, as your device will automatically be registered after 20th, October 2018.
4. What does IMEI is non-compliant mean:
If you receive this message, “ Device IMEI is non-compliant. Please insert all your SIMs in this device and use them before 20/10/18 date to continue using this device” it indicates that your mobile phone IMEI is not allocated by GSMA or it might be duplicate. Hence, insert SIMs in all slots in your device and use it before 20th October 2018 to continue using this device.
5. What does IMEI is blocked mean:
If you purchase a used phone, there could be chances that the device could might be stolen/snatched. On verifying IMEI number you will receive this message “Device IMEI is blocked and is Reported as stolen” this will clearly indicate that you shouldn’t purchase this device.
Still, if you have a non-verified device, you are advised to verify it on PTA DIRBS System Stay tuned for more updates coming your way.